With the arrival of January comes the celebration and honoring of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
As I was gathering ideas, activities, and even potential projects, I have to admit…I was a little overwhelmed as to where to begin. How can I encompass everything my third graders need to know about such a pivotal historical figure in American history? How can I show and explain to them the incredible impact he created for the Civil Rights Movement?
Yeah…it’s a lot! I know!
In an effort to help with your January lesson planning, I wanted to share with you some of my favorite resources that I gathered or created in order to teach about the life and legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- I love to play these two videos to my elementary students to vividly show the impact he had on our nation’s history and for all African Americans:
- The Legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. | BrainPOP – for upper elementary student
- These are interactive and engaging read alouds that I love to incorporate into my Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. lesson plans and activities:
- Martin’s Big Words: The Life of Martin Luther King Jr.
- I love using this MLK freebie in my Martin Luther King lesson plans. If you sign up for my Free Resource Library, this MLK freebie can be YOURS!
There are just so many incredible MLK activities to choose from! What are your favorite Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. activities to use in your elementary classroom?